Want to attend an open mic but where???
So you've written some materials and want to explore how a live audience reacts to it.
So you attend an open mic night. Watch the people who go up on stage. Watch the audience.
And decide, hey, it'll be my turn next!
Here's a guide to your journey, inspired by an email we received from Ashida (who's soon to launch her EP) - asking about open mics in KL!
Open mic events in KL & PJ, Malaysia
- a website that lists all the open mics around town. It's managed by singer songwriter Shaneil Devaser.
http://www.moonshinekl.blogspot.com & Feedback Open Mic
- Singer/songwriter Reza Salleh organisers one of the longest standing open mic series in KL. Head to Facebook.com and search 'Feedback open mic'. Usually held at The Bee in Publika M'ont Kiara or Jaya One in Petaling Jaya, Feedback happens regularly and is organised by Moonshine in collaboration with The Bee.
- Kudos to singer/songwriter Bryan Gomez, Mer-day-kar-ya is a hive for independent musicians, writers and artists to converge. This is one of the more active venues in town for live music. Book your open mic here at their website.
http://www.amritasoon.com & Treehouse Open Mic
- Singer/songwriter Amrita Soon organises a platform for teenagers to come and showcase their talents. No smoking, and not during school days. Open to those who: Sing, Write songs, Play an instrument, Recite poetry, or Tell jokes... Usually held at Paradox Cafe in Bandar Utama area in Kuala Lumpur.
- Guitarist/Educator, Az Samad hosted a series of open mic nights in collaboration with We Are Malaysian Made! at The Venue, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur in 2012.
A Directory to Live Music Venues in Malaysia
Live Music Venues in KL, Malaysia
- KL's legendary live gastro jazz bar is an institution! Founded in 1998 by Sarawakian born-US trained classical pianist Evelyn Hii, this once humble establishment located five doors from it’s original home has now become an institution in KL. It’s stage has seen the likes of Malaysia’s top singers and musicians and the region’s best, not excluding an impressive lineup of international acts over the years and most importantly, the watering hole of choices for KL’s intellectual, cultural, social and corporate elite.
Rumah Api is available for rent and shows can start as early as 8am but should stop before 12pm. The owners provide a show space with Complete PA system, mic and backline AND it's fully air-conditioned. Bands, performer, artists, and organizations only have these rules to adhere to - NO HOMOPHOBICS, NO RACISM, NO SEXISM, NO AGEISM, NO VIOLENCE!
- Alternate + collective runs this space located in the heart of Bukit Bintang (Starhill) in KL. A great venue for bands wishing to launch their EPs or get close to fans.
- Insider Space is a venue for live performance music, dance, theatre, comedy, screening, and press conference. As well as a space for dinner,birthday party ,indoor and community event,motivation and training classes. Located in Komplex Maluri, in KL.
Live Music Venues in Penang, Malaysia
http://www.chinahouse.com.my & https://www.facebook.com/TheCanteenAtChinaHouse
- Curated by singer/songwriter Kien Lim, The Canteen hosts plenty of live music shows every single weekend. There, you'll catch bands like Viv Adram & The Northern Jazz Unit, The Rubberbands, Jip Jazz Trio, The Color Noise, Kien Lim himself and many others!
- Owned by musician Cole Yew of legendary band Hui Se Di Dai, Soundmaker offers bands an uber cool space to make some real 'noise'!!!
International Music News
The Global Battle of the Bands championship is all about keeping music REAL! Bands get to perform 2 original songs within 8 minutes on stage, to a live audience. The World Finals takes place in Chiang Mai, Thailand on 8 February 2014, and will feature 18 bands from Malaysia (The Nose) Moldova, India, Thailand, UK, Norway, Australia, Belarus, Bahamas, Jamaica and many more! GBOB Malaysia was organised in collaboration with FEYST: Independent Youth Festival.
Midem, the leading international business event for the music ecosystem. Attend four action-packed days with more than 6,000 key international music professionals, cutting-edge tech companies, brands, ad agencies, and fresh artists. This, is held in Cannes, France.
http://www.feyst.com, http://www.facebook.com/indieyfest, http://www.twitter.com/indieyfest
The 6th installation of FEYST took place for the 2nd year at Publika M'ont Kiara. Themed 'MEET THE MAKERS', FEYST presented a 3-day free for all festival at Publika The Square and at Paradiso Lounge. It's tradition each year is to produce a compilation album featuring six singer songwriters via a live-recorded show at No Black Tie. The singer songwriters that were selected in 2013 were: Az Samad, Froya, Fazz (external link), Halfway Kings, Ministry of Blunk and Epy & Ardiv. Despite the dismal turn-up this year, and also a sad lack of sponsors, the FEYST platform brought together over 100 musicians who shared the stage and showcased their original material. FEYST is all about providing a space for young creative minds to network, mingle and co-create. The Organisers are planning a better festival for 2014. Visit the website, like its Facebook page and join its Facebook group for more updates. Email hello [at] indieyouthfest.com if you'd like to collaborate for its 2014 installation.